01 August 2006

Customs House Hotel

Well, a rather profitable evening at the Customs House Hotel last night.

Dinner with a few acquaintances got off to a good start while I sat at the table waiting for someone to offer to buy a beer for me. The trick is to never make the first move and then whoever turns up next will feel obliged to ask anyone sitting down if they can get them a drink. That's why I am always the first to arrive.

Dinner was okay, but way overpriced. The fun started when the bill came out. I refused to contribute for the shared bread (although I did eat about half of it and got the last slice in a doggy bag) as I wasn't the one who ordered it. As usual I took charge of the bill and let everyone else know how much they needed to pay and their tip amount.

Due to an accidental miscalculation by me, the other five ended up paying $2.50 more than the total bill. I took the cash and then paid by credit card to get the points. I didn't think they deserved a tip so I kept that as well.

On the way out I picked up someone's 70 cents change that they had left at the bar so all up I made $3.20 for the night.

A great night. Very enjoyable!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I think you are being a bit tong in cheek, I think that you have some good advice there. Not about steeling the 70 cents, but about being the first to arrive. So everyone bys you beer. I am going to try that.

2:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whitey - do you take requests? Can you provide us with Whitey's top Ten Hobart dining establishments? Based on value, of course.

2:52 pm  
Blogger Whitey said...

Hungry for advice - let me see what I can do for you.

Now ... where to start?

5:10 pm  
Blogger Food Kitty said...

Made me smile. On ya Whitey

5:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home